Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Out with the old, in with the new.

Happy New Year! I hope you all have a fabulous year. I certainly intend to.

I made dinner Friday night, and then went to a park and sat in the ball field and ate ice cream. Then I went to a friend's house and we painted our fingernails. With the limited color choices we had and the fact that I haven't worn nail polish in years, my hands came out looking like those of a drag queen. Oh well.

Saturday I worked some more on the path to the bathhouse and then went to a New Years' party in Kona Saturday night. The guy throwing the party was the bartender whose house we'd slept at last week, so we thought it would be pretty cool. Somehow, Jessie had forgotten to get his actual street address and just got directions to the street he lives on. He said that we would recognize the house by all the cars parked out in front, and the tiki torches. Needless to say, we COULD NOT find the house. We searched for about an hour (and it takes an hour and a half to drive there) and kept stopping people in the street and asking if they knew where the house was. A lot of people in the neighborhood were out in front of their houses doing fireworks, and it got sort of complicated to get around. Finally we decided to call the bar where he works and ask for help. Being Hawaii, of course, the guy who picked up the phone had me hold on and used his cellphone to call a friend who was already at the party. The friend came out onto the street and flagged us down, so we found the house. So we finally get there and there are only FOUR other people at the party. And it went downhill from there. There were these loser guys who were hovering around us and we couldn't shake ALL NIGHT. And we tried, god knows we tried. Then the band came, and they was so bad that I don't even have words to describe them to you. Just a total nightmare, playing random ACDC songs. Ugh, so lame.
[Our other New Year's Eve party option had been the party in town, in a barn. Later, we heard that party was totally hoppin'. Isn't that sad?]

Anyway. We got home late and I had to walk up the driveway, using my cellphone as a flashlight so I wouldn't wake anyone up. The next day was a New Year's Day potluck here at the farm, which was fun. My friends were here, and I also met some interesting people, and there was live Hawaiian music and hula dancing (not the cheesy tourist shit), it was great.

Yesterday we had the day off and went to the beach at the Mauna Lani, which was clear and calm but a little too cool out for me to want to go in the water. We just hung out there and people-watched. Lew and Karin have a friend here for a couple weeks who's a famous acupuncturist, and is also very cool and fun to talk to. She and I made dinner last night and then we all hung out and did fun fortune-tell-y type things with a pendulum. I asked it all kinds of questions and got some pretty interesting answers.

So...things are going well. This is the week where I find out if I got into midwifery school, and also whether the people renting my apartment want to stay for the month of February...

P.S.: If any of you happen to pass by a Lush store and find it in your hearts to buy me a bar of "Honey I Washed the Kids" soap and send it in the mail I'll love you forever or be your slave for life, whichever works for you.

1 comment:

Emil said...

Its good to know you're still using soap.